Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012: A Year of Higher Pleasures

--> Another year filled with tons of changes. One would think that by this point in my life I’d have my course set and each year would be pretty much like the last only more so, but alas that’s simply not the case.
 
At the end of last year I knew that I was leaving the film industry but I wasn’t sure what the future held for me, so I went back to school. I’ve now taken two English courses, two Philosophy courses, a Sociology course, and a Health Basics course, and I’m proud to say that after two semesters I’m a straight “A” student.

Both of my English classes had a ton of writing assignments, and several of my papers got published on a website called The Hollywood Quarterly (www.thehollywoodquarterly.com). On top of the normal essays, I was tapped to write a short play based on my classmates suggestions. This short play, a sci-fi/thriller, was also published on the same site.

Over the summer I turned the short play into a short screenplay and submitted it to the AOF film festival. Not only was it accepted into the festival, I was nominated for two awards: Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy and Best Dialogue, and won for the latter.

While at the festival I met an Award Winning Director, Anthony Bushman, and we decided to work together to produce my short screenplay titled Butterfly Dust. Providing we can get the money together, we intend to shoot this spring, and begin to submit to festivals over the summer. Remember when I said I was leaving the film industry…? It seems like the universe has other plans. My daughter says that I do a terrible job at quiting.

Through the work I’ve done in my Philosophy class, I have begun to develop my own philosophical views. I’m going to use this blog to begin to flesh them out and hopefully deliver them in small “bite-sized” chunks. I’m hoping that by writing my thoughts here, I’ll be able to figure out how all the pieces fit together, and I’ll be able to make this jumble of ideas a little clearer and more consise.

As you read the upcoming blog posts, please ask me questions on anything that seems unclear. Your questions will force me to think things through a little more thoroughly, and will help me understand my own thoughts a little better

One last thing, if you’d be interested in hearing my thoughts, or taking part in the conversation, subscribe to this blog and that way you won’t miss a thing.

Thanks for reading, and have a great 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment